Introducing the first U.S. holiday to recognize and celebrate freelancers and self-employed entrepreneurs.
The modern workforce is shifting. Today, 36%* of U.S. workers are part of the gig economy.
We believe it's time that self-employed workers get the same level of appreciation and benefits as traditional full-time employees. Starting with our new IRA, we're building products tailor-made for the freelancers, self-employed, and entrepreneurs.
*Source: (2021). Freelance Forward Economist Report. Upwork.
To celebrate, Robinhood is paying 500 eligible freelancers a full day's worth of work.*
*A days worth of work is defined as $192 to be deposited into a Robinhood account. Amount of $192 is calculated based on a national average of $24 an hour multiplied by eight hours.
How to enter
Tap the button below.
Share what inspired you to become a freelancer in the email pop-up.
We'll notify 500 freelancers who will get $192 deposited into their Robinhood account.
By entering my submission, I acknowledge and accept to have read the contest rules and attest that I am eligible to enter and I meet the criteria to participate. Scroll down to see full contest rules.
Self-starting is a movement:
Gen Z is actively engaged in the gig economy, more so than any other age group. 
In 2022, a record number of Americans applied to start their own businesses. 
Freelancer annual earnings contributed $1.3 trillion to the U.S. economy in 2021. 
 (2022, October 19). How does Gen Z see its place in the working world? With trepidation. McKinsey & Company.
 (2023, Jan 17). Over 5 Million New US Startups Show Covid-Era Boom Has Legs. Bloomberg.
 (2021). Freelance Forward Economist Report. Upwork.
The only IRA witha 1% annual match made for self-starters.
Get a 1% match* on eligible contributions, a custom recommended portfolio,
and no commission-fees. Only with Robinhood. Other fees may apply.
Limitations apply to the match.*
You contribute,we match
Instantly get an extra 1% on every dollar you contribute to help put your money in motion. An extra 1% every year could grow to an extra $26,000+ in 40 years.
Returns aren’t guaranteed. Learn more about the assumptions for this hypothetical illustration.
Choose investments that work for you
Get a custom recommended portfolio, build your own, or do a bit of both—all commission-free.
Other fees may apply. View Robinhood Financial's fee schedule.
*Contributions must come from an external source and the match is capped at the annual IRS limits for contributions. You must keep the funds that earned the match in the account for at least 5 years to avoid the possibility of a fee when withdrawn. For more information, see the IRA Match FAQs.
You must have earned income to contribute to an IRA. Funds being contributed into or
distributed from retirement accounts may entail tax consequences. Contributions are limited and withdrawals before age 59 1/2 may be subject to a penalty tax. Robinhood does not provide tax advice.
The Robinhood IRA is available to any customer with a Robinhood brokerage account in good standing.
All investments involve risk and loss of principal is possible.
Robinhood Financial LLC (member SIPC), is a registered broker dealer. Robinhood Securities, LLC (member SIPC), is a registered broker dealer and provides brokerage clearing services. All are subsidiaries of Robinhood Markets, Inc. (‘Robinhood’).
© 2023 Robinhood Markets, Inc.
National Freelancers Day Contest Rules
Important: Please read these Official Rules before entering this Contest (the “Contest”).
By participating in this Contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements below.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST.
Contest void where prohibited by law. Subject to applicable federal, state, and local laws.
1. Eligibility: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States or District of Columbia who are at least 18 years old (or the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence, whichever is older) at the time of entry.
Directors, officers, members, managers, and employees or persons similarly associated of Robinhood Markets, Inc. (“Sponsor”), market makers and their affiliates, employees of any securities regulatory organization or exchange, and registered representatives of any broker-dealer, and any of their respective parent companies, affiliate companies, subsidiaries, agents, professional advisors, advertising, promotional, public relations, and fulfillment agencies, consultants, legal counsel, website providers, webmasters, and immediate family members (spouses, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and “step” child, wherever they may live) of each, are not eligible to win any prize. IF YOU DO NOT MEET ANY OF THESE REQUIREMENTS, OR ANY OTHER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO WIN A PRIZE. To be eligible to win a prize, entries must be completed and received by Sponsor in the manner and format designated below. CONTEST IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED, ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH TWITTER, INC.
2. Contest Period: The Contest starts at 7:00 a.m. ET on March 10, 2023 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on April 9, 2023 (the “Contest Period”). All entries must be received during the Contest Period and meet other requirements in these Official Rules to be eligible to win a prize. Sponsor’s or its designee’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
3. How to Enter: To enter, during the Contest Period, (i) the participant is, or becomes, a customer of Sponsor’s affiliate Robinhood Financial LLC, meaning that they have or are approved for a brokerage account with Robinhood Financial, and the brokerage account is in good standing as of the end date in the Contest Period, (ii) the participant represents by submitting that they are a freelancer, meaning that they are an independent contractor who earns wages on a per-job or per-task basis,, (iii) visit nationalfreelancersdayus.com and (iv) share what inspired them to become a freelancer in the designated submission portal, and (v) include in the submission a valid e-mail address that is associated with the Robinhood account.
By submitting an entry as instructed above (“Submission”), you agree that your Submission conforms to the Guidelines and Restrictions detailed below. Sponsor may choose to remove any Submission or disqualify you from the Contest if it believes that your Submission fails to conform with the Guidelines and Restrictions. Upon completion of entry steps and compliance with the Guidelines and Restrictions, you will automatically receive one entry into the Contest.
Limit: ONE ENTRY PER PERSON DURING CONTEST PERIOD, REGARDLESS OF METHOD OF ENTRY. Any attempt to obtain additional entries, including through multiple or duplicate accounts will result in disqualification.
Submission Guidelines and Restrictions:
a. Your Submission must not supply untruthful, incomplete, inaccurate or misleading information.
b. Your Submission must be your original creation and be owned 100% by you, or, alternatively, you must have the full rights to grant the license and other rights that you grant to Sponsor in Section 10 below.
c. Your Submission must not (in Sponsor’s discretion): (i) violate any third-party rights, including copyrights, trademark rights, or rights of privacy and publicity; (ii) contain disparaging or defamatory statements; (iii) include threats to any person, place, business, or group; (iv) be obscene, offensive, or indecent; (v) depict any risky behavior; (vi) contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;(vii) contain any content that may violate Sponsor’s regulatory obligations; and/or (viii) contain unauthorized third-party trademarks or logos.
If participating in this Contest via your mobile device (which service may only be available via select devices and participating wireless carriers, and is not required to enter), you may be charged for standard data use from your mobile device according to the terms in your wireless service provider’s data plan. Normal airtime and carrier charges and other charges may apply to data use and will be billed on your wireless device bill or deducted from your pre-paid balance. Wireless carrier rates vary, so you should contact your wireless carrier for information on your specific data plan.
4. Identity of Entrant: All Submissions must be submitted by the individual entrant. Bulk or automated entries will be disqualified (including entries made using any script, macro, bot, or promotional service). Multiple participants are not permitted to share the same email account. Any attempt to obtain additional entries through fraud or other illegitimate means will result in disqualification, at Sponsor’s discretion.
In the event of a dispute about the identity of the entrant, entries will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the account on which the Submission is made. An “authorized account holder” means the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Each potential winner may be required to provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the email account associated with the winning entry.
5. Selection and Notification of Winner: On or after April 9, 2023 a panel of judges selected at Sponsor’s discretion will score each Submission based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
1) Choose up to 500 unique winners who visit nationalfreelancersdayus.com and share what inspired them to become a freelancer in the designated submission portal and have a valid e-mail address that is associated with the Robinhood Financial brokerage account. The emails will be judged based on it being inspirational or resonating with the National Freelancers Day message, and the Sponsor or the Sponsor’s designee will act as the judge, and all such judging decisions are final.
2) Submissions will be disqualified if they include disparaging language, mention a specific security or investment strategy, violate these Rules, are unoriginal, are incomprehensible or gibberish, are generated by non-humans, or are otherwise non-compliant with FINRA or other regulatory obligations of Sponsor, as determined at the sole discretion of Sponsor.
500 submissions will be deemed potential winners, but if there are fewer than 500 entrants, prizes will only be submitted for eligible entrants. In the unlikely event of a tie, the winner will be determined by the Submission’s score in the following criteria: based on the earliest date and time of submission. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number and quality of eligible entries received.
After April 9, each potential winner will be notified directly by Sponsor. An e-mail will also be sent to the address provided during submission. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, Sponsor may require each potential winner to sign and return, within seven days of being notified, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release in order to claim his/her prize. If (i) the attempted notification is returned as undeliverable without a forwarding address or otherwise cannot be delivered; (ii) any required documents are not returned within seven days, such as the Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release; or (iii) if potential winner is otherwise unable to accept the prize as stated, the prize will be forfeited and will be awarded to an alternate winner in accordance with the Judging Criteria. Alternate winners will not be chosen. If, by reason of a print or other error, more prizes are claimed than the number set forth in these Official Rules, the prize(s) will be awarded to the person with the highest scoring Submission in accordance with the above Judging Criteria from among all eligible claimants making purportedly valid claims to award the prizes available.
Verification of Potential Winner: EACH POTENTIAL WINNER IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY SPONSOR, WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE CONTEST. AN ENTRANT IS NOT A PRIZE WINNER UNLESS AND UNTIL ENTRANT’S ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND ENTRANT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT VERIFICATION IS COMPLETE AND NO FURTHER ACTION IS NEEDED.
6. Prize: 500 winners will each receive a $192 reward sent to their Robinhood Financial account within approximately 30 days after the end of the Contest Period. (Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each prize: $192). Total ARV of all prizes: $96,000. The amount of $192 is calculated based on a national average of $24 per hour multiplied by eight hours.
Entrants must be a Robinhood Financial customer in good standing in order to receive their prize.
Prize Restrictions: ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZE ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. Prizes are not transferable. No substitutions or exchanges of any prize (including for cash) will be permitted, except that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of comparable or greater value for any prize. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prizes or prize components. Only the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules are available to be won in the Contest. Consult with your tax advisor about the appropriate tax treatment for this offer and any tax implications associated with receipt of a stock reward before enrolling. For taxable accounts, the value of all Robinhood offers received may be reported as Other Income on a Form 1099-MISC where required by applicable rules and regulations.
Except for applicable manufacturer’s standard warranties, the prizes are awarded “AS IS” and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied (including any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).
7. Disclaimer: Sponsor and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, consultants, contractors, legal counsel, public relations firms, employees and advertising, fulfillment and marketing agencies (collectively, the “Released Parties”) will not be responsible for: (a) any late, lost, misrouted, garbled or distorted or damaged transmissions or entries; (b) phone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet, or other computer or communications-related malfunctions or failures beyond Sponsor or the Released Parties’ reasonable control; (c) any Contest disruptions, injuries, losses or damages caused by events beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor or the Released Parties by non-authorized human intervention; or (d) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest.
8. Limitations of Liability; Releases: By entering the Contest, you release Sponsor and all Released Parties from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of or inability to use any prize (including claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL THE SPONSOR OR THE RELEASED PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF PROFITS OR LOSS OF DATA, WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST OR USE OR INABILITY TO USE ANY EQUIPMENT PROVIDED FOR USE IN THE CONTEST OR ANY PRIZE, EVEN IF A RELEASED PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF THE RELEASED PARTIES (JOINTLY) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST OR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE ANY EQUIPMENT PROVIDED FOR USE IN THE CONTEST OR ANY PRIZE EXCEED $10. THE LIMITATIONS SET FORTH IN THIS SECTION WILL NOT EXCLUDE OR LIMIT LIABILITY FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE CAUSED BY PRODUCTS RENTED FROM THE SPONSOR, OR FOR THE RELEASED PARTIES’ GROSS NEGLIGENCE, INTENTIONAL MISCONDUCT, OR FOR FRAUD.
9. Use of Name, Likeness, etc.: To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, entry into the Contest constitutes permission to use your name, hometown, aural and visual likeness and prize information for advertising, marketing, and promotional purposes without further permission or compensation (including in a public-facing winner list). As a condition of being awarded any prize, except where prohibited by law, winner may be required to execute a consent to the use of their name, hometown, aural and visual likeness and prize information for advertising, marketing, and promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. By entering this Contest, you consent to being contacted by Sponsor for any purpose in connection with this Contest.
10. License to Submission: By entering the Contest and providing your Submission in connection with the Contest, you hereby grant to Sponsor a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide, nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt, edit, modify, translate, create derivative works based upon, and otherwise use and sublicense your Submission, or any portion thereof (including your name and likeness as shown and conveyed in the Submission), in connection with the Contest and for other advertising, marketing, and promotional purposes, and to incorporate Submissions, in whole or in part, into other works in any manner, form, media or technology now known or later developed. Sponsor will have no obligation to publish or use or retain any Submission you submit or to return any such Submission to you. You agree that it is your sole responsibility to obtain all permissions and releases necessary for the grant of the rights contained in this paragraph. You agree to take, at Sponsor's expense, any further action (including execution of affidavits, tax forms, and other documents) reasonably requested by Sponsor to effect, perfect or confirm Sponsor's rights as set forth above in this paragraph. You will not be entitled to compensation for any use by Sponsor, or its agents, licensees or assignees, of your Submission.
12. Intellectual Property Notice: ROBINHOOD is a trademark of Robinhood Markets, Inc. The Contest and all accompanying materials are copyright © 2023 by Robinhood Markets, Inc. All rights reserved.
13. Disputes: EACH ENTRANT AGREES THAT ANY DISPUTES, CLAIMS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THIS CONTEST OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION, AND EXCLUSIVELY BY THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA OR THE APPROPRIATE STATE COURT LOCATED IN SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CALIFORNIA. THESE OFFICIAL RULES ARE GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF [CALIFORNIA,] WITHOUT REGARD TO CHOICE OF LAW OR CONFLICT OF LAWS RULES. YOU WAIVE ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMIT TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS.
14. General Conditions: Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor reserves the right to change these Official Rules at any time, in its discretion, and to suspend or cancel the Contest or any entrant's participation in the Contest should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor's reasonable control affect the administration, security or proper play of the Contest, or Sponsor otherwise becomes (in its discretion) incapable of running the Contest as planned. Entrants who violate these Official Rules, violate any law, rule or regulation in connection with participation in the Contest, tamper with the operation of the Contest or engage in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to Sponsor, the Contest or any other entrant (as determined in Sponsor's discretion) are subject to disqualification from the Contest. Any attempt by an entrant or other individual to deliberately damage any website associated with this Contest or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be in violation of criminal and civil law and Sponsor reserves the right to prosecute and seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law. Sponsor reserves the right to lock out persons whose eligibility is in question or who have been disqualified or are otherwise ineligible to enter the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries received that contain inappropriate or offensive content. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of that provision. Any provision of these Official Rules deemed unenforceable will be enforced to the extent permissible, and the remainder of these Official Rules will remain in effect. The use of the terms “include” or “including” in these Official Rules is illustrative and not limiting.
15. Sponsor: Robinhood Markets, Inc. , 85 Willow Road, Menlo Park CA 94025.